When was the last time you thought about your solar hot water system?
It’s one of those things we take for granted when it’s working properly. However, we recommend you start researching a replacement well before your current system stops working. Otherwise you’ll be left with no hot water, no idea what to buy and no time to research your options. Yet, with a little forward planning, you’ll know exactly what to do when your solar hot water system finally bites the dust.
How will I know when my solar hot water system needs replacing?
The age of your system and the symptoms it’s displaying can be a good indication of whether it’s on its last legs. Here are a few things to look out for which may indicate you need to start saving for a new one.
- Is your solar hot water system more than 10 years old? Although it may still have plenty of life left in it, you may find that it’s not working as well as it used to and that it could do with some attention.
- Is it leaking, rusty or split? Depending on the extent of the issue, you may just need to replace a valve or a few parts. Although, in some cases, it may be more cost effective to replace the whole lot.
- Is it producing enough hot water? A reduction in the temperature or quantity of hot water being produced can be a sign that your hot water system is on its way out. However, it can also indicate that you just need a new thermostat.
Depending on the magnitude of these factors, you may soon be in the market for a new solar hot water system.
Wait - it may not need replacing just yet!
Before you declare that your solar hot water system has officially died, give Solargain a call on 1300 73 93 55 or fill in this quick form to arrange for one of our technicians to service it first. It may just need a few repairs to have it working as good as new.
Things to consider when replacing your solar hot water system
- Like for like isn’t as simple as it sounds. As tempting as it may be from a convenience perspective, it may not be the most cost-effective option in the long term to replace your current system with an identical one. Technology has no doubt improved since you purchased your last hot water system. So why not take the time to speak with someone who’s up to speed with the latest in solar hot water systems and ask what they’d recommend?
- Have your circumstances changed? Have you considered your household’s current and future hot water needs? Do you plan on expanding your family? Perhaps your kids are all grown up now and have moved out of home. There’s a chance your hot water consumption patterns may have changed since your last system was installed. Make sure you choose a system that best suits your current situation.
- It pays to shop around. Although your local plumber may be the first person you think to call when your hot water system breaks down, they may not offer the most competitive prices and may not have as much experience in solar hot water as solar specialists like Solargain. You’ve got nothing to lose by getting a few quotes from different suppliers and asking them about their warranty and after-sales service.
Still unsure about what to do with your solar hot water system?
The hot water team at Solargain has been installing, servicing and repairing solar hot water systems for years. We are happy to discuss any issues you’ve been experiencing and help determine whether your system is on its way out. So, if you’d like to speak with someone who knows solar hot water systems inside out, give us a call on 1300 73 93 55 or contact us online.