Are You Eligible for the Victorian Solar Power Rebate?
If you’re a homeowner in Victoria then it’s your lucky day because you could be cutting your power bills in half thanks to a new Government solar energy program said to save households up to $890 a year on energy costs.
A media release from the Minister of Energy, Environment & Climate Change announced the Solar Homes program late last month which aims to reignite a solar ‘spark’ in almost 650,000 homes across Victoria in the space of 10 years.
What is the Solar Homes Package?
The Solar Homes program, which offers households up to $2,225 off their solar power installation, is predicted to cut carbon emissions by almost four million tonnes and generate 12.5% of Victoria’s 40% target for renewable energy by 2025.
A new independent agency, Solar Victoria, aims to work with industry members, regulators and training organisations to deliver the program, which will create almost 5,500 new jobs.
Could you be eligible for the Solar Homes rebate?
Rebates are only available for the first 24,000 homes, and for solar systems installed from 19 August 2018 to 30 June 2019. 9/10 Victorians who own their own home are eligible for this rebate, however you must meet the following criteria:
- Be the owner-occupier of a home in Victoria, Australia.
- Not have solar PV on your property OR be replacing your solar PV system that was installed before 1 November 2009.
- Your home must be valued at less than $3 million dollars.
- Your combined household income must be less than $180,000.
- Not-for-profit community housing providers will also be eligible to apply for a rebate on behalf of their tenants.
Choosing the right solar energy company
Solar Victoria encourage home-owners to select their solar power company carefully, ensuring that they:
- install a Clean Energy Council (CEC) Approved Product
- use a CEC Accredited Installer such as Solargain
- provide you with a completed copy of the Solar Provider Statement certifying that they:
- hold an unrestricted Class A Electrical Licence, registered with Energy Safe Victoria
- have had no prosecutions registered with WorkSafe Victoria in the past three years (or with an equivalent authority in another Australian jurisdiction).
Beware of solar rebate scammers!
Solar Victoria have raised concerns about scammers targeting homeowners. The solar panel systems granted under this program should only be installed by accredited solar installers using approved products to ensure the highest safety standards, which means it’s more important than ever to ensure you’re dealing with the right company.