CitiPower is responsible for providing electricity to around 295,000 customers in Melbourne's CBD and inner suburbs. They own and maintain a network covering approximately 157 square kilometres, bordered in the south by Port Phillip Bay, Balaclava Road and Toorak Road; in the east by Warrigal Road; in the north by the Yarra River, Dundas Street and Moreland Road; and in the west the Yarra River, Maribyrnong River and Moonee Ponds Creek.
CitiPower is 51 percent owned by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Hongkong Electric Holdings Limited, which form part of the Cheung Kong Group of companies. The remaining 49 percent is owned by Spark Infrastructure, which is a public company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.www.citipower.com.au
Phone: 13 12 80
Jemena Electricity Networks is the new name for Alinta AE. Jemena supplies electricity to approximately 285,000 homes and businesses in the north-west greater metropolitan region of Melbourne.
It owns and operates approximately 10,285 kilometres of wires and cables covering an area of 950 square kilometres.
Jemena is now owned by Singapore Power International.www.jemena.com.au
Powercor Australia is the largest electricity distributor in Victoria, and supplies electricity to approximately 662,000 customers in Melbourne's outer western suburbs and in regional and rural centres in the central and western areas of the state such as Ballarat, Bendigo and Geelong. Powercor is responsible for a supply area of 150,000 square kilometres including half a million poles and more than 80,000 kilometres of power lines.
Powercor is 51 percent owned by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Hongkong Electric Holdings Limited, which form part of the Cheung Kong Group of companies. The remaining 49 percent is owned by Spark Infrastructure, which is a public company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.www.powercor.com.au
Phone:13 24 12
SP AusNet distributes electricity to 600,000 customers in the eastern metropolitan area of Melbourne and eastern Victoria. They are responsible for a supply area of 80,000 square kilometres which includes 46,000 kilometres of wires and cables.
SP AusNet is a public company listed on both the Australian and Singapore Stock Exchanges. Singapore Power International is the majority shareholder with a 51% interest.
United energy distribution
United Energy Distribution is responsible for supplying electricity to over 600,000 homes and businesses in the south-east Melbourne metropolitan area and the Mornington Peninsula.
They own and manage 12,600 km of wires and cables covering an area of around 1,450 square kilometres.
United Energy Distribution is 34% owned by Alinta (Singapore Power International) and 66% owned by DUET (Diversified Utilities and Energy Trusts).www.ue.com.au
ActewAGL is responsible for distributing electricity to homes and businesses throughout the ACT.
ActewAGL was established in October 2000 as a joint venture between the Australian Gas Light Company (AGL), and ACTEW Corporation. Following a number of changes, the distribution partnership is now owned equally by Singapore Power and ACTEW Corporation, an ACT Government owned enterprise.www.actewagl.com.au
Phone:13 14 93
NEW SOUTH WALES
Essential energy (formerly country energy)
On 2 March 2011, Country Energy changed its name to Essential Energy, after selling the retail part of its business, including the Country Energy brand, to Origin Energy. Essential Energy is an electricity distributor responsible for a region covering approximately 582,000 square kilometres of NSW. The major towns and cities they distribute to include Albury, Bathurst, Dubbo, Grafton, Port Macquarie, Queanbeyan, Tamworth and Wagga Wagga. Essential Energy is still owned by the NSW Government.www.essentialenergy.com.au
Phone:13 20 80 (24 hour faults)
Ausgrid (formerly energyaustralia)
On 2 March 2011, Energy Australia changed its name to Ausgrid, after selling the retail part of its business, including the EnergyAustralia brand, to TRUenergy. Ausgrid is an electricity distributor responsible for a region covering approximately 22,275 square kilometres of NSW. In addition to being responsible for Sydney's electricity supply, the major towns and cities they distribute to include Barry, Merriwa, Nelson Bay, Scone and Waterfall.
Ausgrid is still owned by the NSW Government.www.ausgrid.com.au
Phone:13 13 88 (24 hour faults)
Endeavour energy (formerly integral energy)
On 2 March 2011, Integral Energy changed its name to Endeavour Energy, after selling the retail part of its business, including the Integral Energy brand, to Origin Energy. Endeavour Energy is an electricity distributor responsible for a region covering approximately 24,500 square kilometres of NSW. The major towns and cities they distribute to include Blacktown, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Parramatta, Penrith and Wollongong.
The company was set up 50 years ago in order to deliver electricity to Western Sydney and Illawarra regions in NSW. It has expanded considerably and now is the second largest state-owned energy corporation in NSW, distributing electricity to 2.1 million people in NSW.
Endeavour Energy is still owned by the NSW Government.www.endeavourenergy.com.au
Phone:131 003 (24 hour faults)
Energex is an electricity distributor responsible for supplying electricity to 1.1 million homes and businesses in South East Queensland.
Energex's distribution area covers approximately 25,000 square kilometres and includes more than 50,000 kms of electricity lines and cables and over 500,000 power poles.www.energex.com.au
Phone:13 62 62
Ergon Energy is an electricity distributor responsible for supplying electricity to homes and businesses in rural and regional Queensland.
Ergon Energy operates a network of 150,000 kilometres of power lines and one million power poles. They own and operate 33 power stations which feed energy to isolated areas around the state that are not connected to Queensland's main electricity grid.www.ergon.com.au
Phone:13 22 96
Horizon Power is responsible for distributing electricity to the Pilbara, Kimberley, Gascoyne and the Mid-West and Southern Goldfields (Esperance and Hopetoun), covering an enormous area of some 2.3 million square kilometres.
Horizon Power was created when Western Power was split into four separate businesses. It has taken over responsibility for Western Power's remote electricity supply systems (including some local generation facilities) and the retailing of electricity to customers in most towns of the far north of the State, the Pilbara and Esperance.
Horizon Power is owned by the State Government of Western Australia.www.horizonpower.com.au
Phone:13 23 51
Western Power is responsible for electricity distribution in the south-west of Western Australia, from Kalbarri in the north to Kalgoorlie in the east and Albany in the south. The network owned and operated by Western Power comprises 88,000 kilometres of power lines.
Western Power is owned by the State Government of Western Australia.www.wpcorp.com.au
Phone:13 13 51
ETSA Utilities is the sole electricity distributor to South Australian homes and businesses. They manage and maintain over 200,000 kms of lines and over 700,000 poles.
ETSA Utilities is 51 percent owned by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Hongkong Electric Holdings Limited, which form part of the Cheung Kong Group of companies. The remaining 49 percent is owned by Spark Infrastructure Group, which is a public company listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.www.etsautilities.com.au
Phone:13 13 66
Aurora Energy is an electricity distributor and supplier, owned by the State Government of Tasmania.
They are responsible for the supply of electricity to all Tasmanian homes and businesses, covering an area of 68,000 kilometres, and operate a distribution system comprising 23,000 kilometres of overhead lines and 1,750 kilometres of underground cables.www.auroraenergy.com.au
Phone:1300 132 007
Power and water corporation
Power and Water Corporation is an electricity distributor responsible for the entire Northern Territory. They also provide water and sewerage services to the Territory.
Power and Water Corporation delivers services to homes and businesses in residential, regional and remote areas. As well as being the Territory's main supplier, they also generate electricity through gas, diesel, solar and combined technologies.www.powerwater.com.au
Phone:1800 245 090